Symphony Audition Information
- All new and returning members must audition. (general auditions)
- The CRN number to register for MUS 141 will be given to all applicants admitted into the UC Davis Symphony Orchestra AFTER the auditions are completed.
- Find an available audition time.
- Be sure to choose the first option in the list, “Symphony Auditions.” (Percussionists only should use the corresponding option.)
- Fill out, print and bring this Application form to your audition.
Audition dates and times:
- Mon, 9/20 9:00 am – 1:00 pm and 2:00–5:00 pm
- Tues, 9/21 9:00 am – 1:00 pm and 2:00–5:00 pm
Weds 9/22 9:00 am – 1:00 pm and 2:00–5:00
**Percussion is only offered 2–3:00 pm this day.
Thurs, 9/23 9:00 am – 1:00 pm and 2:00–5:00
**Percussion is only offered 2–2:30 pm this day.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:10–9:40 pm in Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center.
- Call time for rehearsals is 6:55 pm.
- First rehearsal is Thursday, September 23, 2021, in Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts [Call-time is 6:55 pm]
Requirements and Music excerpts
All applicants should prepare a solo piece that demonstrates fast and slow playing (it can be two different pieces or sections from the same work).
Applicants interested in holding a principal position should also prepare to perform at least three orchestral excerpts chosen from the selections below. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to perform these excerpts but only those interested in holding a principal position are required to do so. Parts are free and available for download here:
Sibelius: Symphony No. 2
Wagner: Rienzi Overture
All applicants must print, complete, and bring this Application Form (PDF) to their scheduled audition.