Necati Çelik, oud
Necati Çelik will perform music in the Ottoman Turkish musical tradition on the Turkish oud [a fretless lute]. A virtuoso player unequalled in refined and complex playing, Çelik performs traditional musics using with his own improvisations and compositions.
To be announced from the stage.
a Shinkoskey Noon Concert
- Campus community (students, staff, or faculty) must show a cleared Daily Symptom Survey at the door.
- Others [age 12 and older] must show proof of COVID vaccination or a negative COVID test result at the door.
- Masks are strongly encouraged but not required.
- Please take a moment to read the details on requirements for our attendees.
- Direct link to livestream.
Necati Çelik [pronounced ne-ja-tee che-lik] is an undisputed master of the classic Turkish oud. A virtuoso player unequalled in refined and complex playing, he demonstrates that his musical roots are deep within the Ottoman tradition and that he is the principal exponent of the Turkish maqam [tonal system] on the oud. His is also regarded as an exceptional oud teacher and has shared his knowledge with hundreds of students all over the world, lecturing and leading oud seminars in Turkey, Greece, Syria, Malaysia, Germany, Austria, Belgium, and the USA. Çelik is a 2022 visiting lecturer in Stanford University’s Department of Music and The Abbasi Program in Islamic Studies, which is made possible by funding from the Stanford Visiting Artist Fund in Honor of Roberta Bowman Denning.