Ola Lorens Memorial Travel Scholarship now accepting applications
Call for Applications
The Ola Lorens Memorial Travel Scholarship is now accepting applications. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
Come hear 2022 Ola Lorens Travel Award recipients discuss their experiences on Friday, April 7 from 12-1 pm in Cruess 1105. Alum Izzy Goldschneider and Rosaamelia Cordova will talk about the proposals and experience and answer questions.
The OLMTS (Ola Lorens Memorial Travel Scholarship) supports Design undergraduate students with grants up to $1000 to assist educational interests such as (but not limited to):
- Attending workshops
- Visiting an archive or museum
- Attending a conference or workshop
- Travel for research
- Travel to participate in an internship
- Travel and/or support related to a specific
- Design event
Note: This year’s award is not restricted to physical travel (especially given restrictions and uncertainty). For example, the award may be used to cover registration fees for attending a virtual design conference, training session, or workshop.
- Must be a Design major in good academic standing.
- Travel is limited to educational activities; priority will go to travel/projects that clearly advance educational/career goals relevant to Design as expressed by the application.
- The student recipient is required to make a public presentation to the department and the Ola Lorens family on the outcomes or benefits realized through the scholarship.
- The Ola Lorens family would like to encourage student recipients of this award to “pay it forward” by giving back to the Department of Design at some future date, post graduation.
- Description of the proposed travel/project/event, its significance and relevance to future career goals, not to exceed 750 words.
- Name of a faculty mentor who will oversee the travel/project.
- Current resume.
- Detailed budget for all of the travel and related costs as well as any other funding that will be used to support the travel/project.
Email the four application materials as ONE .pdf file labeled as <yourname_olts.pdf> to email@example.com
The OLMTS is offered in memory of Design major Ola (Alexandra) Lorens (1991-2014) through the generous gifts of Patrick and Ewa Lorens Kinney, Molly Kinney and family, and Ann and Mike Savageau.
Ola once said that she “came alive” when she took her first design class at UC Davis. She brought a playful and distinct vision to her work in all areas of design. Her inventive style of drawing embodied a curious and humor-filled approach to creation that Ola hoped might someday be fulfilled with work as a maker of children’s books. Spurred by a deep desire to experience foreign cultures and new environments she dreamed of overseas travel as a way to forge direct connections with others in an unmediated way. After graduation, Ola embarked on a European journey that led to her successfully landing a design internship in Amsterdam. Although her life ended tragically early in an automobile accident, she left an indelible impression on those of us who knew her and worked with her in the Department of Design at UC Davis. This travel award celebrates Ola and her fearless example as a person and a designer.
Please feel welcomed to phone Professor James Housefield (530.754-2602), or email your questions.