Requirements, Master’s Degree in Conducting
Consideration for program admission requires:
- A bachelor’s degree comparable to a degree from the University of California in both distribution of academic subject matter and scholarly achievement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts (UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/prospective-students/admissions-application/submitting-your-transcripts.)
- TOEFL or IELTS score (if applicable)
- A CV (including a list of works conducted, rehearsed, and studied)
- A list of 30 works for orchestra which the applicant considers to be the most significant from a historical and/or musical standpoint
- A 10–15 minute DVD (in English) of rehearsal or concert with 2–3 works showing different styles (YouTube links are acceptable in lieu of a physical DVD)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- An Office of Graduate Studies online application with fee by the stated admission deadline.
- The most qualified applicants will be selected to take part in a live audition (and interview) conducting the UC Davis Symphony Orchestra & Chorus.
- This year’s audition date is Tuesday, February 11, 2020. The assigned works for the audition with the orchestra are Ravel’s La Valse and Ravel’s Pavane pour une infante défunte.