Performance Salon Workshop
For Music Majors
Want to find the weak spots in your jury piece? Trying out a new interpretation? There is a new opportunity for music majors to perform and to receive feedback in an informal setting. Twice a quarter, on the third Friday of the month, the music department will host a performance workshop, or salon. Sign-up three weeks prior to the salon.
Eligibility: Declared music majors currently taking lessons and in the performance track will receive first priority. Second priority will go to all other declared music majors currently enrolled in lessons. Students who have previously performed in a salon series will be considered after other performance majors have had a turn.
Format: The salon will be held the third Friday of each month: 10/21, 11/18, 2/17, 3/10, 4/21, 5/19 (please note that 3/10 is the second Friday of the month). Each student will have up to ten minutes to perform with the pianist, followed by ten minutes of discussion and feedback. Students will also have a chance to incorporate feedback or try out new ideas. The salon performances are limited to duets for one instrument plus piano.
Timeline: Sign-ups will open three weeks prior to each salon. Students chosen for the performance should be ready to provide a PDF of their music to the pianist no less than two weeks prior to the performance.
- Musical excerpts must not exceed ten minutes. If your movement or piece is longer than ten minutes, you will need to indicate exactly which excerpt you would like to perform.
- Performances are for solo instrument with piano. No larger ensembles, please.
- Your applied teacher needs to approve of your participation in the salon.
Since this is informal…
- There will be no publicity or listings on the department calendar and there will be no printed programs.
- The department will not record these sessions. We encourage students to bring their own recording devices for study purposes.
Cancellations and no-shows: If you cancel fewer than seven days before the salon, you compromise your eligibility for future salon participation. If you fail to attend after signing up, you will not be allowed to participate in future salon workshops.