Study design in England and Netherlands
DES 187, DES 198, Summer Abroad 2017, SSI
European countries are bursting at the seams with history and design. Join Prof. Tim McNeil on a journey through England and the Netherlands for an unparalleled insight into two countries famous for their design tradition as well as their design innovation.
Starting in the ancient English city of York, this summer abroad program will travel to the vibrant creative capital London, and then to the Dutch cities of Utrecht and Amsterdam where design truly infiltrates everyday life. These cities represent a cultural and historical “design slice” through the heart of Northern Europe. Creative projects will focus on the design of multi-sensory experiences for cultural, commercial and public spaces, and the evolution of European design expression and the international style. Excursions include visiting famous design sites and professional design studios, and experiencing total design immersion at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London’s Design Museum, the Stedelijk Museum, and the Rietveld Schröder House.
- Experience living in the heart of three amazing European cities: York, London and Utrecht
- Participate in behind-the-scenes visits to world-class design related museums and cultural attractions
- Enjoy organized excursions to the vibrant cities of Leeds, Whitby, Newcastle, Amsterdam, and Eindhoven
- Work on creative projects and meet with leading professional designers in their studios
- Study and make friends at other design schools including London’s prestigious Central St. Martins